My husband told me this week that I’m not a real blogger – and I guess he means that a real blogger would read blogs daily and add to their own at least a few times a week (like him) so I thought I’d better post what I’ve been up to lately so you know I’m not dead.
Most of my attention and energy of late has been in preparation for a baby. This might be called nesting, I’m not sure…but it seems to got hold of me more than hubby (not sure if a personality thing or a maternal thing). I have been buying books about baby care, organising to go on a family first aid course, planning when to have a housewarming/baby shower, making sure the carseat is bolted in the car by the mechanic, buying second hand kids books to fill the shelves, and generally trying to think ahead to what I might need to do in the next few weeks before I finish work, and the few weeks after that before my EDD (Expected Due Date). Yes I have started Christmas shopping.
This week my work colleagues threw me a baby shower (without games and birthing stories thank God), and I was very spoiled…or should I say Selah has already been very spoiled with homemade booties and cuddly toys, books, toys, stuffed animals, singlets, bedtime CD, photoframe, keepsake book – so many gifts all for a baby. It’s amazing how generous people are. It’s also uplifting to see the value of new life, and the celebration of such.
I do feel in a weird state of changing role identity, and out-of-controlness though. I’ll still be the general ‘child of God’, ‘wife’, ‘friend’, ‘sister’, ‘daughter’, ‘Speech-Language Therapist’ and I’ve known those ‘roles’ or ‘identities’ for awhile. It’s a new step being a ‘Mum’, and I can’t control when my child will appear, how she will appear, how I’ll adjust to her appearing, and the huge life change after that. I won’t be working for awhile, people might only ask me about the baby, and will Mumness change my role as ‘child of God’, ‘wife’, ‘friend’, ‘sister’, ‘daughter’, ‘Speech-Language Therapist’.
I’ll let you know.

