Friday, December 08, 2006
I'm reading a book by Irwin McManus called "Uprising", a book kinda challenging the way we live our lives, particularly people who follow the life and times of Jesus Christ...
I also watched a must-see movie called "The Constant Gardener" the other night and it's been rattling my brain. I find it hard to spend money after watching something like that- I drink chocolate milk, water a plant my husband had delivered to me for our anniversary, shower daily, tip water down the drain that tastes a day old...when millions of people just want some clean water to avoid dying of dehydration.

Annnnyway, there's one great sentence in "Uprising" that has me thinking (there are many but this is a favourite): "We want to feel good about ourselves more than we want ourselves to become good".
A 'Western' world problem perhaps more than anywhere else -maybe because we have little issue of simply surviving? Maybe this idea of self-esteem and feeling good about ourselves is overrated. I think it's really important to know who you are, and the bible does talk about loving neighbour as yourself...however I don't know that the two are in an order but have to come together. Are people living like 'when I feel better about myself, then I'll do such and such'? I do think it's possible to love your neighbour without loving yourself (overcommiting yourself, allowing yourself to be mis-used or abused by people) but maybe we are too focused on ourselves and feeling good about ourselves -or just feeling good in the sense of happiness from pleasure. There's always things we can do to simplify our lives to help others and become more good (I know that's not proper English but hey, it's Friday and I have a baby). I want/need to be more good that's for sure.

A random thought, why do we call it 'Western' world when we don't go around talking about 'Eastern', 'Southern' or 'Northern' world?
 
posted by Melva at 11:07 AM |


6 Comments:


At Fri Dec 08, 12:04:00 PM 2006, Blogger sewfunky

I watched the Constant Gardener about a week ago. It was a very moving portrayal of third world culture, politics's and life, and how some aspects of the western world have no respect for life in these countries.

Hope all is well with you Melva...

 

At Fri Dec 08, 06:28:00 PM 2006, Blogger Geekery

Damn fine movie that. Watched Tokyo Drift afterwards... what a contrast!

 

At Sat Dec 09, 02:01:00 PM 2006, Anonymous Anonymous

Hi Melva,

I like that quote as well, it is interesting that is the 4th quote along those lines in the last week and a half! So I think God must be trying to say something to me...

"The temptation of the age is to look good without being good." - Brennan Manning (The Ragamuffin Gospel)

"I don't just want to look like a good man, I want to be a good man" - Simon Moetara

"When feeling good and looking good replaces being good and doing good, we have a problem."
- The Gospel in a Consumer Society (Stuart McAllister, RZIM)

 

At Mon Dec 18, 04:17:00 PM 2006, Blogger Sharyn

Hey Melva, we talk about "Western" because "the world" used to just refer to Eurasia. The West was Western Europe and the East was Asia. We still do use 'Eastern' to talk about Asia but not so much I guess.

And people do use North and South, but more in good old Acadamia I suppose - Northern refers to the developed world and Southern to the developing world. This is because most of the developing world is above the equator and the developing below. New Zealand and Aus kind of mess with that a bit.

Then you have First world and Third world which is a whole other thing!

 

At Sun Dec 24, 10:19:00 AM 2006, Blogger Melva

Good quotes James. Particularly from the esteemed scholar and friend Simon Moetara.

It is weird that we talk about the Western world far more, (aside from 'Eastern' religions). RE 1st & 3rd worldk, where is the second world?

 

At Wed Jan 10, 02:40:00 PM 2007, Blogger Sharyn

Um the second world was countries that were socialist like the USSR etc.