Here's my all time favourite dessert:
1 cup dates, pitted & chopped
1 tsp baking soda
1c boiling water
2T butter
1c soft brown sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2c self-raising flour (1 1/2c flour & 2t baking powder)
Preheat oven to 180degC.
Mix the dates and baking soda in a bowl. Pour boiling water on top and leave until needed.
Cream butter and sugar, then add eggs one at a time, beat well after each addition. Fold in the sifted flour, stir int he date mixture and pour into a greased 18cm square or round cake tin.
Bake for 30-40mins until a skewer comes out clean.
For the sauce: combine ingredients in a saucepan-add cream last once sugar is dissolved and mixture is gently bubbling. Simmer for 5mins. Keep stirring so it doesn't stick on the bottom.
Set aside until ready to serve.
Sauce #1: 1c soft brown sugar, 3/4 c whipping cream, 1t vanilla, 2T butter
Sauce #2: 3/4 c brown sugar, 1/4c cream, 2T golden syrup, 1/4c butter
(I mix and match the sauce from the ingredients I have at the time...I usually do sauce one and include golden syrup instead of vanilla).
Enjoy!
